Monday, November 11, 2013

The unique qualities of portrait photography and my experiences with it as a photojournalist


   Aj Coulson, auto tech, Sylvania OH, 21, hands out tools to all the automotive and
   cat students in the transportation technologies because classes need tools to work on
   equipment in the Transportation Technology Building at Owens Community College.
    
    Portrait photography, defined by the technique required and type of environment used, is best when you are in control of the light that is falling on your subject. It is important to be relatively quick and efficient when shooting portraits. People tend to lose patience if you take your time adjusting your camera controls. A good portrait photographer will get his light equipment, camera gear, set up well before it is time to photograph the subject.
   Most people think of portrait photography as a studio type atmosphere. The photographer would shoot indoors and use external lighting to illuminate the person being photographed. Backgrounds of different styles are used by the photographer for aesthetic appeal. Studio photographers have the public come to them to be photographed.
   Photojournalists also shoot portraits along with their news photography. Unlike portraits taken in the studio, a photojournalist shoots environmental portraiture. The people stay in their natural habitat while being photographed. The environment is used as a prop that relates to the person. Environmental portraits can be shot candid as well as posed as opposed to studio pictures which are generally posed.
Aj Coulson, photos by Parth Pitroda
   I found shooting portraits quite interesting and fun, however it was different than expected. My perception of portraiture was to go find someone interesting and just photograph them. Instead, I found myself constantly moving to get the correct lighting to fall on my subject. Once that was achieved, I could then take the shot. Capturing portraits was definitely harder than I expected. Photographing people is getting easier for me but there are a few spots in which I could improve. For example, the composition of the head shot was most challenging to me. Overall, I feel photographing portraits is fun and exhilarating.

No comments:

Post a Comment